As of June 1, 2024, the City of Fredericksburg has entered into an operating agreement with the Texas Historical Commission of Fort Martin Scott.
To learn more about the operating agreement and the future plans of the THC for the fort, please click here.
Located out 290 E (Main Street) across from Gillespie County Law Enforcement Center, Fort Martin Scott was the first U.S. Army outpost built on the Texas Frontier. The historic site contains one original garrison building, which has been restored, one late 1800s old farm shed and three reproduction garrison buildings.
The old military fort was in operation from 1848 to 1853 by the U.S. Army. Texas Rangers used the site as a camp, both before and after military occupation. During the Civil War, the Confederate States Army occupied the fort for a brief period. Later abandoned and then purchased and used by the Braeutigam family as a farm, the property was purchased by the City of Fredericksburg in 1959.