All applicants must meet the minimum standards before an application will be accepted.
Police Officer applicants will be required to perform both physical and written exams, and if successfully passed, will be selected to continue to an employee interview board and undergo a thorough background check. Additionally, Police Officer applicants will be required to undergo psychological testing, a polygraph exam and medical screening.
Civilian/Non-Sworn applicants will be required to undergo an interview, polygraph exam, medical screening, a thorough background check and any other testing relevant to the position being applied for.
All applicants successfully completing all stages will be placed on a New Employee Hiring List. This list will be kept for approximately six months or until the list is depleted.
Minimum Standard Requirements for Police Officer & Civilian /Non-Sworn Applicants
- Must be a citizen of the United States.
- Police applicants must be at least twenty-one (21) years of age, and possess a valid Texas Driver License.
- Civilian applicants must be at least eighteen (18) years of age, and possess a valid Texas Driver License.
- Police applicants must be certified by T.C.O.L.E. and have successfully passed the T.C.O.L.E. exit examination.
- Must never have executed at any time a confession to a felony offense, such confession being admissible as evidence against you in any criminal proceeding in any State or Federal Court.
- Must not be under indictment for a felony offense.
- Must not have any felony conviction, or conviction of a crime of moral turpitude or domestic violence.
- Must not be on probation for any criminal offense.
- Must never have been convicted of an offense above the grade of Class B misdemeanor or a Class B misdemeanor within the last ten years.
- Must be of good moral character, as determined by a thorough background investigation.
- Must be a High School graduate or possess an equivalent G.E.D. certificate.
- Police applicants must pass a Physical Fitness examination administered by the Police Department.
- Must be examined and certified physically satisfactory by a licensed physician.
- Police applicants must be, when applicable, examined and certified mentally and psychologically satisfactory by a licensed psychiatrist or clinical psychologist.
- Applicants must have been discharged from military service under honorable conditions, if applicable.
- Must pass a polygraph examination.
- Police Applicants must meet any other standards set by law or by T.C.O.L.E. policy.
Applicant Physical Fitness Exam and Minimum Requirements (Police Officer Only)
- 2000 Meter Row - 50% at Level 5