City of Fredericksburg Elections
Welcome to the City of Fredericksburg City Secretary’s Election page. The following information is provided to guide voters and potential candidates through the election process.
City Secretary’s Office Election Role
The City Secretary’s Office is responsible for managing and conducting the City of Fredericksburg’s municipal elections. The Office is also responsible for providing local candidates, local officeholders, and specific-purpose committees access to applications, forms, deadlines, reports and other documents related to election information. The Office is also responsible for meeting all legal requirements and notifying voters of upcoming elections. The City may contract a particular election with the Gillespie County Election Administrator to conduct election votings, but the authority with whom required election documents are filed and required notices remain with the City Secretary’s Office. The Office also preserves the required documents in accordance with the State of Texas Library and Archive Commission Retention Schedule.
The City Council has moved May 2, 2020, City Election to November 3, 2020, pursuant to Governor Abbott’s Proclamation and COVID-19 pandemic (see Resolution 2020-08R).
Important dates for November 3, 2020, City Elections are as follows:
|Last Day to Register to Vote||Monday, October 5, 2020|
|First Day of Early Voting by Personal Appearance||Monday, October 19, 2020|
|Last Day to Apply for Ballot by Mail (Received, not Postmarked)||Friday, October 23, 2020|
|Last Day of Early Voting by Person Appearance||Friday, October 30, 2020|
|Last Day to Receive Ballot by Mail||Tuesday, November 3, 2020 (Election Day) at 7 p.m. (if carrier envelope is not postmarked or November 4, 2020, at 5 p.m. if the carrier-envelope is postmarked by 7 p.m.|
IMPORTANT DATES FOR THE MAY 2, 2020 CITY ELECTION ARE AS FOLLOWS:
- December 16, 2019 Deadline to Post Notice of Candidate Filing Deadline
- January 15, 2020 First Day to File for a Place on the General Election Ballot
- February 14, 2020 Last Day to Order General Election or Special Election and Last Day to File for a Place on the General Election Ballot (application must be completed before the 5 p.m. deadline)
- February 20, 2020 9 a.m. in City Secretary’s Office-Drawing for Place on the Ballot
- April 2, 2020 Last Day to Register to Vote
- April 20, 2020 First Day of Early Voting and Last Day to Apply for Ballot by Mail
- April 28, 2020 Last Day of Early Voting
- May 2, 2020 Election Day
May 2, 2020, General Election will be for the purpose of electing a Mayor and two (2) City Councilmembers. For information on the May 2, 2020 Candidates, see Candidate Information or (click here)
∗∗ Required Notices ∗∗
Notice of Deadline to file applications for Place on the Ballot (AVISO DE FECHA LÍMITE PARA PRESENTAR SOLICITUDES PARA UN LUGAR EN LA BOLETA)
Order Calling May 2, 2020, General Election (Orden por la que se llama el 2 de mayo de 2020, Elecciones Generales) (coming soon)
Notice of May 2, 2020, General Election (Aviso de las Elecciones Generales del 2 de mayo de 2020)
For additional questions contact Shelley Goodwin, City Secretary at (830)997-7521 or firstname.lastname@example.org or 126 W. Main Street, Fredericksburg, Texas 78624
For Federal, State, and County Elections see Gillespie County Election Administrators website.
Uniform Election Dates
- March 3, 2020 - Primary Election Date
- May 26, 2020 - Primary Runoff Election Date due to COVID-19 this has been moved to July 14, 2020
- November 3, 2020 - Uniform Election Date (Presidential Election)
- May 1, 2021 - Uniform Election Date (Two (2) Councilmembers)