City of Fredericksburg Elections
Mayor and City Council Number, Selection and Term of Office
The legislative and governing body of the City of Fredericksburg shall consist of a Mayor and four (4) Councilmembers. The Mayor and the four (4) Councilmembers are elected from the City-at-large. The terms for the Mayor and four (4) Councilmembers shall be two (2) years each. The Mayor and Councilmembers may be elected to an unlimited number of terms, but to no more that four (4) consecutive terms, in the same office.
Qualifications for the Office
City of Fredericksburg Charter Section 3.02. - Qualifications.
Each member of the city council shall be eligible to be a candidate for public elective office in the State of Texas, a qualified voter of the State of Texas, a resident citizen of the City of Fredericksburg and shall have been such resident citizen of the City of Fredericksburg for a period of not less than twelve months immediately preceding his election, and shall not be indebted to the City of Fredericksburg provided, however, that any person with the above qualifications, except as the residence, who shall have been a resident for a period of not less than twelve months immediately preceding his election of any of the territory not formerly within the corporate limits of said city, but which is annexed under the provisions of this charter, shall be eligible for said office. If any Councilmember fails to maintain the foregoing qualifications, the city council must at its next regular meeting declare a vacancy to exist and shall fill said vacancy as set forth in Section 3.07 of this charter. If any Councilmember shall be absent from three consecutive regular meetings without a valid excuse, the city council may declare a vacancy to exist and fill the said vacancy as set forth in Section 3.07 of the charter.
IMPORTANT DATES FOR THE NOVEMBER 5, 2019 SPECIAL ELECTION ARE AS FOLLOWS:
- October 6th – 28th Period for Publishing Notice of Election.
- October 7th Due date of first Campaign Contributions and Expenditures by Specific-Purpose Committees.
- October 7th Last day for submitting a voter registration application.
- October 15th Last day for publication of notice of the test automatic tabulating equipment to be used in Early Voting.
- October 15th Last day to post Notice of Election on bulletin board.
- October 18th Last day to receive an application from a voter in person for a ballot to be voted by mail.
- October 21st Early Voting begins.
- October 25th Last day to receive an application by mail for a ballot to be voted by mail.
- October 28th Due date for second Campaign Contributions and Expenditures by specific-purpose committees.
- November 1st Last day of Early Voting by personal appearance.
- November 5th Election Day-Polls are open 7 a.m.-7 p.m.
- November 8th-18th Period for Official Canvass.